Window Blinds for Your Protection
Window blinds are the coverings used for the windows to give shade and privacy to your place, generally attached to the interior side of the window. The good thing about using these blinds, is that you can control the amount of light coming in simply by adjusting the blinds.
Types of window blinds:
Window blinds come in various types:
Slat blinds: These blinds have numerous flat horizontal slats, which are joined with string so that they can be rotated. This allows light to pass between the slats. To keep the light out, they can be rotated up to 170 degrees, or to clear the window they can be pulled up. By pulling a cord or rotating a connector which is attached to the string, the rotation can be achieved, and a different string is used for the raising and lowering of the blinds. There are other versions where both the mechanisms are combined into one single rod. Slat blinds include:
• Venetian blinds: Introduced around 1770 in Venice, these blinds are made of plastic or metal, and sometimes even wooden slats are used, which are known as wood blinds or bamboo blinds. The width of the slat ranges between 50-120 mm.
• Miniblinds: These are basically venetian blinds that have slats measuring from 19-24 mm only.
• Vertical blinds or track blinds: These blinds use plastic or metal horizontal slats which can be rotated ninety degrees to allow the light to come in, or can be folded to the side for a clear view through the window.
Solid blinds: Often called window shades, these blinds unlike venetian blinds, cannot be rotated. But they can be rolled up or folded to allow the light to come in. These blinds include:
• Holland blinds: Known as roller shades, as they have rolling window blinds which can be pulled down.
• Woven-wood blinds: The slats used are made of decorative wood or bamboo, which are woven together using colorful yarns or other decorative material. These blinds can be rolled up or folded out of the way. They are energy efficient, have greater light control, and are economical alternatives to shutters.
• Pleated shades: These blinds consist of pleated fabric shades which can be pulled up to the top of the window.
• Honeycomb shades or cellular shades: They are similar to pleated shades, but here there are two or more joined together at the pleats forming compartments to trap air, thus giving the room insulation to save on your energy bills. Cellular shades come in various styles, such as double and triple cell styles.
• Roman shades: These blinds have a cord woven through the fabric that allows you to raise or lower the shade in an accordion pattern. They are easy to operate and are very efficient in insulation.
While installing your blinds, you should see to it that the blinds are unobstructed such that when it is fully extended, it can still hang freely. It is necessary to cut the blinds to make them fit in the windows. You have to measure the width and length correctly before cutting the blinds. You can also put the blinds in your bathroom windows. Choose pleated or cellular shades with privacy backing to keep outsiders from looking into your windows.
You can choose the window blinds that suit you best from the variety of blinds available. Window blinds are extremely beneficial, not only for protection from sunlight, but also to prevent onlookers from peeping through your windows.Texas Real Estate Commission Information About Brokerage Services