Window Treatments Help Homeowners Save Money
You might not think twice about how much energy you are conserving or wasting in your home – until you get your gas or electric bill.
With energy prices continuing to skyrocket from year to year, and utility companies passing along the costs to their customers, many homeowners are starting to take a harder look at ways to protect their pocketbooks.
A few simple steps now can go a long way toward reducing your energy costs and keeping them low for the foreseeable future. The following tips provided by Comfortex BlindCrafter Centers will help you conserve energy in your home and save money on your heating and cooling bills.
* Install insulating window treatments like Comfortex Cellular Shades. These innovative window treatments trap air between the shade and window, which in turn keeps warm air from escaping through your windows during the winter, and keeps hot air from entering your home during the summer.
* Caulk cracks and holes in your windows or install weather stripping to ensure that no cold or hot air escapes.
* During the winter, allow those rare sunny days to warm your house by opening window shades and blinds, but remember to close them at night.
* Install storm windows. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, storm windows can reduce heat loss through your windows by up to 50 percent.
* Move furniture away from the heat source. Blocking a vent makes the system work harder.
* Keep your fireplace damper closed when not in use.